Hey! A rented house can offer more privacy and freedom compared to a hostel. However, do note that once an agreement to rent any apartment or house is fixed, it cannot be terminated early except under extraordinary circumstances.
Also, payment is often made in two parts to the landlord – the rent which cannot be changed during the period of lease; and the Umlagen or Nebenkosten – which can be changed. The latter refers to things such as heat, a portion of the property tax, water etc.
You should take note of the following few things as well:
1. Do have an inventory of anything that is in your new place and any deficiencies present at the start.
2. Avoid loud noises between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. and from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Monday through Saturday and all day Sunday.
3. Most cities require that trash is separated into numerous ways – metal, plastic, paper, glass etc.
4. Close entrance doors from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. if more than one family lives in the building.
5. Close and lock all doors and windows in your apartment during periods of extended absence.
6. Install satellite dishes and television or radio antennas only with the permission of the landlord and in compliance with local laws.
7. Inform the landlord immediately of any damage to gas, water or electrical lines.
8. Find out from the rental agreement who is responsible for the cleaning of halls, stairways, front walk, etc. It might be you.
9. Never grill, barbecue or make an open fire on a balcony.
The above are just guidelines and the actual terms to follow should be in the contract drawn up between you and your landlord.
Have a great stay in Germany and enjoy your time there 🙂